About Registration

Our dogs and litters are registered with USA (United Schutzhund Clubs of America) which uses a dual registry system in coordination with the SV (Verein für Deutsche Schäferhunde) in Germany. Click to return to the "Litters" page. or Click to return to the "About" page.

This means that the pedigrees for the puppies come from Germany and each pup is given a USA registration number as well as an SV registration number. The SV keeps a seperate set of breed books and registration numbers for puppies born in the US. The pups are included in the SV's database on German Shepherd Dogs. This registry is not recognized by the FCI because the AKC is the FCI recognized kennel club in America and the GSDCA (German Shepherd Dog Club of America) is the AKC recognized breed club for the German Shepherd Dog.

Our dogs and litters cannot be registered with the AKC. I have tried to have the AKC recognize my dogs' papers, but the AKC refuses to recognize USA. Even though the USA/SV pedigrees are 98% identical to the SV papers on dogs imported from Germany. If my dogs' grandmother had been registered with the AKC when she was imported then her progeny (my dogs and litters) would be AKC registerable. But alas, by the time I knew there was a problem it was already too late.

Because the puppies papers come from Germany, it can take a year or more to receive these papers. As the breeder, I send in a litter registration application to the USA office. They do their part of the paperwork and forward it on to the SV in Germany. The SV produces the pedigrees and sends them back to USA. I receive all of the papers for the litter, sign them over to the owners of the puppies and mail them out. As a puppy buyer you do not have to do anything to register your puppy. But because it can take so long for me to receive the individual dogs' papers it is important for you to let me know if your address changes after you fill out the purchase agreement. If you ever transfer ownership of your vom Winters Land dog to someone else, you will have to notify USA of the new owner.

So what does this type of registration mean to you as a puppy buyer?

It means that if you purchase one of my pups and want to use them for breeding that you must follow the USA breed rules in order to register the resulting litter.

It means that you can participate in any USA events with your pup including field trials, breed shows, and breed surveys.

You can apply for an AKC ILP (Indefinite Listing Privilege) number so that you may participate in AKC Companion Dog Events such as agility.

You cannot enter your dog in an AKC breed show or register a litter with AKC.

If you are just interested in a good dog to love and not to show or breed in the AKC arena, then this has no effect on you.

Is FCI recognition important? Only if you plan on breeding a male outside of this country. Will my breedings ever produce a male that is so super that Europeans will want to breed to him? Honestly speaking, no. Can you breed a female outside of this country? Yes.

There are other breed registries in America and the only one that is FCI recognized is the AKC. Many of you may have heard of the UKC (United Kennel Club) which is a very large dog registry in this country. The UKC has been around for about as long as the AKC (approximately 100 years). The UKC is not an FCI recognized registry. Does anyone using the UKC registry care that they are not FCI recognized? No. The UKC was founded to protect the different working breeds, many of the hunting dog breeds are UKC breeds. USA was founded to protect and promote the true German Shepherd Dog breed. USA is the organization that follows the rules pertaining to the German Shepherd Dog that the rest of the world follows. The GSDCA is not. Will USA ever be recognized by the AKC? Probably not because there are too many powerful people in the GSDCA who do not want to lose the hold they have on the German Shepherd Dog breed in this country, even though what they produce through their breeding practices goes against what has been established by the SV.